Create a sense of movement through stop motion or computer animation
to bring inanimate objects, drawings, or clay to life to tell a story
Advertisement for a student-created product or a real event in your school or community (Inspires the audience to buy the product or attend the event)
A nonfictional film that presents factual information about real people, places, and/or events in a narrative format. Must include an interview with an “expert” (someone knowledgeable on the film’s subject matter)
Fictional comedy or drama that tells a story. It must be a series of events with cause and effect relationship, (Narrative can be original work or adapted from public domain material)
A factual or fictional news feature in newscast format, featuring only ONE topic
(Interviews and footage of subject matter are encouraged)
Public Service Announcement, in an original presentation, must have factual information that supports, educates, or inspires solutions to community or student concerns
A nonfictional film that provides and explanation of science, technology, engineering and/or mathematics in an artistic, entertaining and knowledgeable way. The film must be presented in the form of a Narrative, Animation, News Feature or Music Video; or a combination of these.
Films will be judged for both technical and creative content.
Filmmakers of winning films will be invited to the 16th annual Reel Spirit Young Filmmaker Showcase.
All films must be submitted through FilmFreeway. We are unable to process films in Youtube and WeVideo format for viewing at the Showcase. You must save the film to your computer from either of those sites and then upload the film from your computer to FilmFreeway.
Sponsor/Mentor must complete the online Contact and Copyright Form BELOW:
Entries are judged by professionals from film and media fields. First, Second, and Third place Certificates are given in the various categories and divisions according to the judges’ decisions. Decisions of the independent judges are final.
Fee: $8 non-refundable fee is required for each film submitted through Film Freeway
If your film or video selected as a WINNER, you agree to and understand the following:
Division I, II, III (grades 2-9) entries must be received by February 23, 2021
Failure to submit by the deadline will result in disqualification of entry.
Submission of a film automatically gives consent to Reel Spirit Young Filmmakers and Kansas City FilmFest International to use film entry and likeness for promotional purposes
The following must be source referenced in credits at the end of the production:
* All music, sound effects, pictures and reference footage, whether original and/or non-original
* Original third party music, sound effects, pictures and reference footage may be used if permission by the owner/author is documented in writing and sent in with entry form
* Music, sound effects, pictures, and video clips purchased or available through filming or editing software is acceptable and must be referenced in the credits
Penalties due to Copyright Infringement:
* Other resources/websites for music, sound effects, pictures and reference footage that indicate “copyright-free” may not be completely and legally free for public or commercial use; the use of other so-called copyright-free websites will result in a three point penalty
* Winning productions failing to comply with copyright requirements will result in the film not being shown at the Reel Spirit showcase, website or other public screenings